Re: debian linux

On Tue, 9 May 2000 hurlock@aoml.noaa.gov wrote:

> I sent out  a message regarding some installation issues and I have
> received several responses already that I found very helpful and
> educational (thank you).  I can see that the Debian project is a "little"
> different from the Red Hat project.  I want to have a production server
> running Oracle8i and would like to hear anyone's opinion regarding using
> debian vs red hat linux.

Ramon

Ed Mcneil, who is student of mine, collected together resources for
the installation of oracle on Red Hat, and points out some of the
problems with Debian.  You might look at his web page on this:

	http://cs.wcu.edu/~mcneil/oracle/show.cgi

Extracts from his web page:

  This page is aimed at people who just want to set up an Oracle
  database server on the Linux platform, with a minimum of pain and
  confusion. The reader is assumed to have some idea of what a
  database is, a basic understanding of tables and users, some
  experience with Linux, and not much other prior knowledge.
[snip]
  For better or for worse, Oracle has been developing and testing
  their Linux ports with the Red Hat distribution.  Oracle's
  documentation indicates that kernel version 2.0.34 (or better) and
  glibc 2.0.7 are required;  thus, we chose a stock installation of
  RedHat 5.2 for our server.

  Oracle has been confirmed to work on RedHat 6.0 servers as well,
  with supplied patches and after the installation of some
  compatibility packages. Other RedHat-based distributions, such as
  Mandrake, would assumedly work well.

  Debian users confirm that Oracle 8.0.5 works with Debian Linux 2.1
  (also known as Slink) without modifications.  Later versions (such
  as Potato) may have glibc compatibility problems, though patches
  are available.

Hope this helps.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because software support is free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
                 (I hope this is all of the above.)