Re: From IP to domain name

"Ivan J. Varzinczak" <ivan@inf.ufpr.br> writes:
> 	I'd like to know if someone can give me any sugestions about
> how I can discover the domain name given an IP address. For example,
> if I have the IP address 205.188.146.23, I would like to discover what
> the domain name is, in that case, aol.com.
> 	I've tried to use nslookup, but I've had some problems in
> setting the servers, because perhaps I'll need the "root" servers on
> internet and it doesn't work very well.
> 	Thanks in advance!

Unless you've set up your own DNS server and are running "bind" on
your machine you generally don't have to worry about root servers. If
the resolvers you have in /etc/resolv.conf are properly configured
they'll eventually query down to a root server.

Assuming you're not running your own DNS server, and nslookup isn't
working, something is misconfigured, either in your /etc/resolv.conf or
on the DNS server(s) listed in your /etc/resolv.conf.

There have been occasions where my nslookup would timeout but I was
able to use the Linux "host" command (located in the dnsutils Debian
package), but generally the reason nslookup failed on my machine was
because I had misconfigured my DNS server.

Gary