Linux on VAIO PCG-N505X

I happily run potato on my Sony VAIO PCG-N505X, but there are a couple
of niggles I'd like to fix:

1. Suspending the laptop does bad things to the interrupt handling on
   the modem. I've tried a couple of different PCMCIA modem cards, but
   whilst they work fine before an apm suspend, when I resume they
   only work if I use setserial irq 0. By contrast all the network
   cards I've used work fine before and after a suspend. I've tried
   various combinations of pcmcia tools and kernels, currently 3.1.12
   and 2.2.15 respecively. Random tweaking of the PCMCIA config files
   doesn't seem to help either.

2. I can't get the IrDA to work.

If anyone has a laptop and has got sensible modem support or IrDA
working, please could you let me have a note of your configuration ?

Cheers,
--
Martin Oldfield.