printing using lpr

hi,

there's a problem i can't seem to figure out, yet my comprehension of how
linux works is not very extensive but I do know my ways in it. There is
just one thing i haven't quite figured out yet: printing.  For as far as I
know everything is configured correctly; kernel (2.2.13) supports the
printer port (using /dev/lp0); and the printer (hp deskjet 660c) shows up
in dmesg. I know the setup should work because i can send lines to the
printer like this: cat 'file' >/dev/lp0 yet when i try printing from a
program, say a word processor, it doesn't do anything. The printer command
lpr says it's sending to the printer but nothing happens (i tried using
commandline arguments but that didn't change anything). I've been going
through magicfilter-config and everything seems to be set ok and there's a
*TeX package installed. any clues?  any reply would be apreciated :)

Gijs van der Brugge

"Eat right, stay fit, and die anyway."