Re: upgrade broken

Quoting Chris Mason (chris@net.ai):
> I am using CorelLinux 1.0 and I tried using dselect to upgrade to unstable.
> After all the packages were downloaded, and install started, there were a
> lot fo errors somehting like "such and such is not owned by root".
> I rebooted and not I get a login prompt but no password prmopt. I can't ssh
> into the box and it's not on the network.
> Short of trashing the installation what can I do?

First, if you're used to a graphical login, try a console one instead.

Otherwise, boot a Debian rescue disk (which uses a ram root filesystem)
and "mount previously initialised partition" which will mount them
under /target.

I don't know where you go from there, not having seen the state of the
machine. Obviously you can change /target/etc/passwd and shadow, but
you might have to edit something in the /target/etc/pam.d/* in potato
as it uses PAM.

(I take it you meant frozen/potato when you typed unstable/woody.)

Cheers,