Re: dd and Playstation CDs

Quoting Greg Baker (ggbaker@sfu.ca):
> Can anyone tell me how to use dd to make an image of a Playstation game?
>
> I keep getting this (several different games):
>   # dd if=/dev/scd0 of=out.dd
>   dd: /dev/scd0: Input/output error
>   36+0 records in
>   36+0 records out
> I take it I have to skip some blocks in there, but which ones?

I'm only passing on what I have read somewhere, so this may be wrong.

The errors are deliberate and are part of the copy-protection scheme.
If you manage to skip the errors and write an error-free disc, the
playstation will reject it as a counterfeit.

So you'd have to copy the disc at a lower level. This makes sure that
only organised criminals can afford to make copies, not Johnny next door.

Cheers,