pcmcia - network

hi folks,

i am running debian linux 2.1 (kernel 2.0.38) on a laptop with a 3com 3c589D
ethernet card (pcmcia).
there are scripts

A) /etc/init.d/pcmcia (starting pcmcia services)
B) /etc/init.d/network (containing loopback & nic config, ip adresses etc..,
starting the network)
C) /etc/pcmcia/network (i don't know what it does ;=( )

problem:
at boottime, script A is being executed AFTER script B. this results in the
network being "unreachable" or eth0 being "unknown" when script A tries to
assign the ip-adress or the netmask to eth0.
after i login and run "ifconfig", i only get information about the
loopback-device. i can then run script B manually. afterwards i get info also
about eth0 and can run ftp's, telnet's, pings etc... between it and another
machine.

question:
how can i manage the proper sequence of execution of A and B (and maybe C ???)
so that my network can run even if noone is logged in on my laptop

thanx
rob