Re: su

On Mon, May 08, 2000 at 10:42:28AM +0200, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Sun, May 07, 2000 at 06:28:01PM +0200, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:
> > > Does the 'su' command expire after a certain time? If it doesn't how do
> > > you 'go-back' to a normal user?
> > >
> > "exit"
> > or just <ctrl>-<d>
>
> That is why I use sudo rather than su.

the problem with using sudo this way (i assume you just allow your
acount to use `ALL' programs as root?) is you no longer need the root
password anymore, your account passwd is as good as root's so if your
account is broken into its automatic root for the intruder once he
discovers your sudo privileges.  now if he got in without having
figured out your password and you did not specify NOPASSWD for
everything in suders you might be safe, for awhile anyway...

i prefer to keep it so if my account is broken my system is still
reletivly secure (ie they still have the formidable task of finding a
root hole the old fasioned way instead of just sudo bash), thus i
don't grant much extra privilege to my own account.