Installing KDE

I have downloaded KDE and would like to install it. I have all of the
essential packages as well as some optional ones. When I install I do so
like this for each package, one at a time:

dpkg -i package.deb

This installs but throws up a some dependency problems. Once I have
installed them all I run dselect to configure the packages but it
refuses to do anything and quits out. I then tryed to set-up my
windows-managers file so that it would load when I ran startx but
without luck. I'm not sure I've got the path right in window-managers.

Thanks.