Re: Accessinf devices after install...

On Sat, May 06, 2000 at 12:40:55AM -0700, Kevin A Smith wrote:
> I'm pulling hair already.....
>
> I have debian running on a desktop system now, all working fine
> with network access - but I cannot access either my CDROM or FLOPPY
> drives.
>
> I've tried "installing" the drivers via "modconf", but my first
> problem is that my CDROM does not appear to be supported - at
> least with the drivers that I have available (where do I go to get
> a list of supported CDROMs)? [I have a Digital Research CDROM x36].

Don't know, but a good chance if it's standard ATAPI fare.
$ mount -t iso9660 -o ro,unhide /dev/hd? /cdrom

> Next, though my floppy seems to have been "installed", I get errors
> when I try to mount it:
> kevin-dsl-212:/floppy# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd1u1440 /floppy
> mount: block device /dev/fd1u1440 is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd1u1440,
>         or too many mounted file systems
>
> How do you know which device to select in "/dev"? I tried the one I thought
> it should be (from the man pages and other docs), but got:
> kevin-dsl-212:/floppy# mount -t ext2 /dev/fd0 /floppy
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/fd0,
>         or too many mounted file systems

Your positive the floppy is formatted with ext2?  Most floppies come
formatted for DOS/Windows (mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /floppy). But, if
you've got a mind to, you can format it ext2 (mke2fs -c /dev/fd0 1440).

> Mind you, when I tried this again - I got the same errors, but the floppy
> did engage!

Well, /dev/fd0 should be the correct device.  Those specific ones
shouldn't be needed unless you've got a specially formatted diskette.
Besides, you were apparently trying to mount the second floppy drive
(fd1). Does anybody even have two floppy computers anymore?

> Baby steps indeed.....

Nah! You'll be leaping tall buildings in no time!

If you decide to use vfat for your floppies, you can add a line to
/etc/fstab for mounting.

/dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,noauto,rw,user,unhide 0 0

Or replace vfat with autofs if you use it.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.