Re: Install Linux on Win98 computer

I would be very interested in your (or others') experiences, since I am revising the install docs for the new release (potato). In particular, I found that I was unable to do the initial boot out of the Win98 system, even in safe mode. So I'd like to know what your results are, one way or the other. I didn't spend a lot of time trying to make the boot out of Win 98 work, so I'm not too confident about what is or isn't possible.

I don't think this issue depends on whether you are using stable (slink) Debian 2.1 or experimental (potato) 2.2, but please indicate which it is you tried.

Good luck!

The 1024 cylinder limit is fading with newer hardware, BIOSes, and OS's, but it still might affect you. Remember, only a tiny partition need be below there for things to work--for Linux you can put almost everything else where you like.

At 12:17 PM 5/5/00, Lehel Bernadt wrote:
On Fri, 05 May 2000, Jason Dodd wrote:
> Hello all,
> Newbie here, I've installed Debian at home and would now like to install
> Debian on a separate partition on my work computer.  Win98 is currently
> loaded on the first 2 Gb's of the drive, the remaining 1 Gb is currently
> free space.  I believe I can just install Debian and use Loadlin to boot my
> Linux, but I've been somewhat confused by the various references I see in
> the HOWTO's to needing to have Linux in the first 1024 cylinders.  Is this
> limitation something I need to worry about, does Loadlin take care of this?
> (broad questions I know)?
> My computer is a Dell Pentium-Pro 180mhz with 128 RAM and a 3 GB drive. I
> wish to install the current version of Slink.  Thanks alot for the help.

If you have a 3 GB drive, just make sure it is set to LBA in bios and
install. (the 1024 cylinder limit is 512 MB with normal mapping, 8 GB with LBA)