gpm and x conflicting

I have gpm and X fighting for a ps2 mouse on my laptop.  I've tried
repeating on with X looking at /dev/gpmdata using both PS/2 and MouseSystems
protocols and repeating types msc, ms3, raw.  I've also tried having them
both just look at /dev/psaux with the PS/2 protocol.

If X uses the MouseSystems protocol, I get no motion at all when I move the
mouse.  All other settings give me erratic mouse movements.

X works great if I kill gpm first, but this seems like a suboptimal solution
to me and I'm wondering if anyone has a better idea?

-Dan

--
"Beware he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart
he dreams himself your master."