RE: Whirring hard drive fails to boot up fully

Thanks for your reply Nathan.

This is the unfortunate conclusion I am now reluctantly accepting :-( .

> Fortunately IBM has an excellent RMA process.  I'm a bit surprised
> you're having problems with that drive as it's quite new (and very
> reliable in my experience; I own one).  Perhaps you got one that was
> damaged in shipping or dropped by a "technician".

I know quite a few people who have the same drive and are very happy with
it; the reviews are favourable towards it too.  It doesn't seem to have
had any problems up until a few days ago when it started to go wrong as I
described.

Oh well, time to investigate IBM's RMA process.

Cheers,

Paul