web-based data entry

I work on a project funded by a grant from the National Science
Foundation.  The bulk of our work entails collecting historical census
data for New York and Chicago and entering it into a database.  Until
now, we've given our workers floppy disks with simple Excel or
comma-delimited databases on them for entering the data.  I think it
would be much more productive, and easier to manage, if we had them
enter this data over the internet.  However, I don't know what type of
programs are available for this kind of task.  I suspect MySQL may be
the way to go, but I'm not sure.  Could anyone give suggestions as to
where I should start?  I would love to be able to keep logs of people's
time spent in the database application, and to keep track of what
records they entered, but I would also be happy with a simple
application that only has data entry capabilities.  Given the skill
level of our workers, a web browser interface would be most desirable.

Thanks.

--

Brian J. Stults
Doctoral Candidate