Cant access Windows partition

I've been using Slink with a 2.2.14 kernel compiled to
allow power-off on shutdown.  This morning I tried to
mount my windows partition and it complained about no
vfat support.  I tried to recompile the kernel.  I did
a make menuconfig and selected dos vfat support.  Then
I did make bzImage.  I copied bzImage to
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.14.  Then I did make modules
followed by make modules install.  When I did this it
said it couldn't find a lilo signiture on /dev/hda4
and I'd have to make a bootdisk and/or run /sbin/lilo.
 I did both, rebooted and it still says no vfat
support.  What am I missing?