Re: /dev/null: permission denied - problem

On Sun, 23 Apr 2000, Stephan Hachinger wrote:

> At least since I mixed my slink system with potato packages (glibc 2.1) a
> couple of months before, I have a problem with /dev/null. Firstly, lprng
> reported at startup: "setuplog: open /dev/null failed: permission denied" (I
> "fixed" it by installing lpr which does not complain about it), and now
> since I installed exim correctly, I always get mails like this one:
> [...]
> /bin/sh: /dev/null: Permission denied
>
> Has anyone experienced this problem and can help me, please?

/dev/null should be writeable by everybody, if it is not, please do:

chmod 666 /dev/null

BTW: There is a user who reported a similar problem. So far, we have been
unable to discover which package exactly is the responsible for that.
Could you please post the output of "dpkg --get-selections" to the
60573@bugs.debian.org address? (if you think it is not sensitive
information, of course).

I have asked the same to the other user, hopefully we will be able to
compare both lists and see what common packages do you have.

Thanks.