Re: samba's /etc/samba/cmb.conf -- empty?

w trillich wrote:

> i did the religious
>         apt-get install samba
> and then
>         apt-get install smbclient       # just for testing
> (even tho i'd done a full apt-get dist-upgrade, i still
> apt-get install things left and right that weren't selected..)
>
> and it complains about not being able to read /etc/samba/smb.conf
> and i can see why:
>
> there is none.
>
> i create a blank one via
>
>         touch /etc/samba/smb.conf
>
> so at least 'testparm' doesn't choke, and 'smbclient' gets past
> the initial retch, on to whining about missing codepage 180 or so.
>
> with a bit-o-editing, smb.conf is now
>         [homes]
>            path = /home/%S              # redundant but harmless
>            writeable = true
> but i gotta set the bios name and this and that and yada yada.
>
> so, wise folk, please direct me to a utility that creates
> such a monster (the smb.conf manpage is only 9000+ lines
> long, and i'd like to get SOME sleep this week)...
>
> its name is probably something sensible, like gribnif
> or thipnoodler. (sambaconfig, while predictably-named,
> is surprisingly predictable at creating a three-line
> /etc/samba/debian_config instead of the thousands of
> lines that'll wind up in smb.conf.) and so i ask you
> knowledgable folk who've been down this path to shed
> a bit of light for me.
>
> if there's no create-a-'smb.conf'-utility, perhaps there
> are samples out there to start from?
>
> TIA

There are sample 'smb.conf' files in 'samba-doc'. However, if you don't
want to spent a enormous amount of time (Samba is great, Samba is the
best, BUT IT'S HUGE!!!) configuring, take a look at
SWAT. It's a web-based configuration tool.

If you only want to share some directories and nothing fancy I suggest
you start with one of the examples in 'samba-doc'.

--
Met vriendelijke groeten,

Harry ten Berge
- computer engineering -
With Microsoft products, failure is
not an option - it's a standard component.
Choose your life. Choose your future.
Choose Linux.