Re: Newbie questions, Partisioning

Quoting Lowell Voelker (reply@lvoelker.vip.best.com):
> I was just given a new PC with 40GB hard drive and Win98 preloaded Fat32
> from what fdisk is telling me.  Will it be posible to leave the first
> 20-30GB as Fat32 and from 30-40Gb for Debian?

Yes, just so long as you can boot the kernel from somewhere.
If the BIOS can't read it from a partition with such a high cylinder
position, then there are other tricks like loadlin, or having a
copy of the kernel early enough in your FAT32 partition.

BTW remember to consider a swap partition.

> I have no way of knowing if the rescue dice will reload Win98 if I start
> over and set up Fat16 for the first 2GB?
>
> There is a rumor around that any Primary Partision after a Fat32 can not be
> Fat16.  Is this true?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say here, but taken together, are
you suggesting in order:

W98/FAT32 20GB+ ----- FAT16 2GB ----- linux/ext2 rest

with FAT16 shared? (I can't quite see the point. Linux can mount W98.)

I've not heard of such a rumoured restriction. What's it meant to affect?

Or are you going to move W98 thusly:

FAT16 2GB ----- W98/FAT32 20GB+ ----- linux/ext2 rest

which may suffer from W98 suddenly moving to D: because the first
partition is now C:.

Could you be more specific and precise about what you want to do.

Cheers,