Re: root filesystem corrupted, can't log in

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Ethan Benson <erbenson@alaska.net> wrote:

>On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 02:47:37PM -0700, montefin wrote:
>>
>> It seems the linux kernels from about 2.2.7 thru 2.2.13, and only on IDE
>> boxes, had a recurrent filesystem corruption problem. I was on kernel
>> 2.2.12 when I upgraded to RedHat 6.1 and it slaughtered me. Here's the
>> routine that worked over and over again for me when boot up failed.
>
>i can certainly attest to 2.2.13 trashing filesystems, it was always
>`corrupted blocks' or some such thing too.
>
><snip>
>
>> When they are all done, type 'exit' (without the quote marks). Your
>> system will shutdown and you _should_ be able press restart and boot
>> back up clean. Should.

Did.

Nathan, montefin, aphro, Ethan: thanks to all of for the quick
replies. I managed to fix the filesystem some time after midnight
(CET) and the box it's up and running again.

[...]
>you will need it.  and don't allow any 2.2 kernel earlier then 2.2.14
>within a mile of any of your machines :|

First thing I did when the machine came up again was upgrading from
2.2.9 to 2.2.14. This is scary.

BTW: What's the best way to keep up with glitches like this if you
don't follow devel and kernel lists?

--
Philip Lehman <lehman@gmx.net>