Re: Long time Debian user with semi-technical question

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, dstarner98@aasaa.ofe.org wrote:
> If you need to modify dependencies, I mean really need to modify
> depenedencies, download the source and edit debian/control. In both your
> examples, there are better ways than hacking dependencies.

Huh...download the source too ?
You can edit the control file by unpacking the binary package like this:
mkdir packagename
dpkg-deb -X packagename_rev.deb packagename
cd packagename
dpkg-deb -e ../packagename_rev.deb
Now it's all there. If you've finished editing, repack it:
cd ..
dpkg-deb -b packagename
I do this when I have to fix the directory structure of
alien-converted rpms.