Re: find running in the backgound

On Tue, Apr 25, 2000 at 01:32:54AM -0500, Mike Cook wrote:
> Once a day, I hear my hard drive making a lot of noise, so i ran top
> and discovered it was find running. What is its purpose and how can I
> disable it?
>
> Thanks

That's the 'updatedb' cron script running. You probably don't want to
disable it, it keeps an index of files for things like locate to use.
Maybe, just have it run at a different time of day. See
/etc/cron.daily/find . Read man cron, crontab if you're unsure how to
set the time of day.

--
¶ One·should·only·use·the·ASCII·character­set·when·compos­

» ing·email·messages.