Re: Problems - Installing Packages from the A:

Dulan Tevesh <kaos8891@hotmail.com> writes:
DT> I'm having problems installing simple packages with debian. I'm
DT> currently running it on a laptop w/out any internet connectivity, and
DT> its only way to get packages installed is via the A: floppy -

What's an "A: floppy"?  If you mean "floppy disk on /dev/fd0 with a
FAT filesystem mounted on /mnt", then...

DT> However, every time I go to try to install a package, I get a
DT> "/var/lib/dpkg/methods/mnt/Packages does not exist." error, and it
DT> refuses to install the package. Any help would be greatly
DT> appreciated.

How are you trying to install the package?  dselect is overkill here,
and it's difficult to convince it to work on a package it's not
getting from its "normal" sources.  (And it sounds like dselect is
broken to boot; you probably want to download and install the 'apt'
package and use it as your dselect backend.)  Something along the
lines of 'dpkg --install /mnt/foo_1.2-3.deb' should work quite nicely
from the shell prompt as root.  'dpkg --help' will give you a (long)
summary of dpkg's options; more information can be found in dpkg(8).

--
David Maze             dmaze@mit.edu          http://www.mit.edu/~dmaze/
	-- Abra Mitchell