kernel building errors

I am attempting to build kernal 2.2.12 onto a machine
that currentlyhas 2.0.36.  I downloaded the proper
kernel from kernel.org and then
began the proper steps.  When I get to running make
menuconfig (I don't
have KDE on this machine since my 'net connection for
downloading it is
worse than a 2400 baud modem), I recieve this error:

rm -f include/asm
( cd include ; ln -sf asm-i386 asm)
make -C scripts/lxdialog all
make[1]: Entering directory
`/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
gcc -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer
-DLOCALE
-DCURSES_LOC="<curses.h>"   -c lxdialog.c -o
lxdialog.o
In file included from lxdialog.c:22:
dialog.h:29: curses.h: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [lxdialog.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/usr/src/linux/scripts/lxdialog'
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2

It sorta drops out after that.  I can run make config
but that's a pain
in the rear and I'd like to know why this isn't
working.

=====
"God, Root. What is the difference?"
	Pitr, User Friendly