Re: Newbie installation questions

Hello,

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 10:22:46PM +0000, David Jenkins wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I just successfully installed Debian 2.1 on a separate 2 Gbyte hard drive on my Intel PC.  The installation process went quite smoothly, especially for me, a Linux-newbie.  Kudos to the Debian team for an excellent release!  Whoever has worked on this has done an excellent job.  The price was pretty good too--$12 from Linux Systems Labs for 4 CD's (2 source code and 2 binaries).
>
> I do have several questions I'd appreciate some help with:
>
> 1. I need to keep Windows98 on the primary 12 Gbyte hard drive, and would like to boot Debian from a floppy.  (That way, the rest of the family won't even know Linux is on our machine, until I get everything working properly.)  I created a boot floppy during installation, and when I boot the system with it in the floppy drive, Debian does indeed come up, but it takes a very long time.  Is it possible to set up the boot floppy so that the system does boot from it, but once it does, transfers to the Linux kernal on the hard drive (/dev/hdb1)?  Is that a sensible question?

After taking care of question 2 try the following:

Read
	man lilo.conf
	man lilo
See
	/usr/doc/lilo

> 2. My installation does not recognize the Linux "man" command.  How can I install it, and the man pages for system commands?

To install the "man-db" package, look in the "doc" sections in dselect.
There is also a package called "manpages" which has man pages for the Linux
system in gereral.
Application specific man pages are installed when you install the "*.deb"
packages.

> 3. How can I mount my Win98 FAT32 partition on startup?  It mounts fine after Linux boots up if I enter the command "mount -t msdos /dev/hda1 /mnt/win98".

Read
	man fstab
See file
	/etc/fstab

> 4. When I boot Linux, I get a message about hdb1, the Linux hard drive on my system, not having been cleanly unmounted.  How do I shut down Linux so that the Linux partition is cleanly unmounted?

You need to stop the system properly so file system can be sync'd and running
programs terminated cleanly.
Commands for halt and reboot are:

	shutdown -h 0		(halt system now)

	shutdown -r 0		(reboot system now)

Read
	man shutdown

> 5. I've installed release 4.0 of XFree86, and run xf86config.  When I enter "startx", I get the message "xinit: error in loading shared libraries.  libXmu.so.6: cannot open shared object file: no such file or directory".  I can "find" libXmu.so.6 in directory /usr/X11R6/lib.  How do I tell the system where this file is located?

Not sure about this, sorry.

Regards,

Robert