Re: Upgrade failed

On Sun, Apr 23, 2000 at 05:26:56PM +1000, Bill wrote:
> Problem solved..... found answer in archives (file attached)
>
> many thanks to those who tried to help
>
> Bill
>

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2000 at 10:27:34PM -0600, Alberto Brealey G. wrote:
> >
> > i've done a fresh install of slink (because i have the bootable CD lying
> > around...), and need to upgrade to potato/frozen. it does the apt-get update
> > fine (retrieves the package lists). when i try to dist-upgrade, it downloads
> > 13.7 MB fine, but when trying to install, it exits with:
> >
> > E: Internal error, couldn't configure a pre-depend
> >
> > does anyone knows what might be wrong? (I tried different mirrors on my
> > sources.list, they all did the same).
>
> It's a circular pre-depends.  I'm appending my previous email on the
> subject.  I've seen a few posts that say my method works, but I still
> don't guarantee it :)

This is the first message I've seen in this thread, but I thought I'd
point out that I had upgraded several systems from slink to potato
with the following commands:

  apt-get update
  apt-get -f dist-upgrade

-f           = fix broken dependencies
dist-upgrade = attempt to upgrade important packages at expense of
               less important ones if necessary

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee@sectionIV.com (preferred)
Alantro Communications       lee@alantro.com