Re: installing Debian for an Unix-ignorant user (point-and-click installation)

On Fri, Apr 21, 2000 at 06:32:34PM -0400, Arcady Genkin wrote:
> Hi all:
>
> A friend of mine in a fit of anger directed to his Window~1
> installation called me and asked if I would install Linux for him. We
> have discussed with him before, that everything he needs from a
> computer (web browsing, document/spreadsheet editing, email) can be
> done from within Linux using familiar to him graphical interfaces. His
> Win98 has been blue-screening on him way too often.

StarOffice supports most MSO file formats (Word, Excel, PPT) pretty
well.  It's a bit of a pig.  It's free as in beer.  I don't particularly
care for it as a working tool.

Corel Office has had mixed reviews, but promises similar compatibility
to SO.  WordPerfect is a champ (though I prefer the DOS 5.1 version).

Applix is also available, though my experience is with an older, and
very klunky, version.

The Gnome "office suite" -- AbiWord, Gnumeric, and xmp (MagicPoint) do a
pretty good job, though they're somewhat less feature-rich than their
proprietary brethren.

Browsers -- Netscape 4.x, Netscape 6.x/Mozilla, kfm, Gnome help
browser...

> Next week I'm going to install Debian on his computer. Basically, I am
> thinking of setting up Gnome, and stuffing everything he could need in
> a root menu and clickable icons. He is no dummy, but has very little
> knowledge of computers besides most common applications.

Though Gnome's probably doable, for someone with an MS Windows
background I'd probably pick KDE.  Personally I prefer WindowMaker to
either, and generally prefer Gnome's philosophy, my recommendation is
strictly from a beginner's usability standpoint.

> Has anyone done this kind of setup? Are there any things that I should
> be forewarned about, perhaps?

Basics -- document generation, spreadsheets, file management, web
browsing -- Linux is as simple as anything out of Redmond.

Interactivity -- file formats and document interchange -- there *will*
be issues.  Redmond writes the rules for a large portion of the market,
and interconnectivity can be painful.

Games, multimedia.  There are issues, particularly with web-based
plugins, media players, and entertainment stuff.  The simple fact is
that there will be things you *can't* do (or can't do as well, as
easily, or as nicely) under Linux.  OTOH, your computer isn't crashing
all the time, and there's a lot of slick stuff you can *only* do under
Linux.  Life is compromise.  If your friend is aware of the tradeoffs,
life should be good.

One possible compromise is to install VMWare (~$100 personal edition)
and boot a Windows session within it.  Performance lags, and some
functionality (devices, sound) aren't available, but certain
interconnection issues go away.

> How easy is it to configure a ppp connection as a desktop icon? (I'm on
> a cable modem, and have never configured ppp under Linux).

Gnome, KDE, and WindowMaker all have graphical PPP status/activation
tools (gppp, kppp, and wmppp, IIRC).

pppconfig is an ncurses (console-based) utility for configuring your
connection(s).