Re: /dev/hdd irq timeout?

Robert Waldner wrote:

> I had two encounters with this error:
>
> first having an ibm drive, which was spinning down after 5 minutes, that
> annoying behaviour wasn=B4t changeable even with hdparms :/
>
> then another hdd (a seagate iirc) started dying with this error; I think
> that happens when the drive moves data to other places, most newer drives=
>
> have some spare space where they can move the data off bad sectors to,
> completely transparent to the application/os.
>
> I wouldn=B4t worry _too_ much, just a full backup once or twice a day...
>
> hth,
> &rw
>
> On Fri, 21 Apr 2000 18:29:53 CDT, w trillich writes:
> <...>
> >hdd: irq timeout: status=3D0xd0 { Busy }
> >hdd: disabled DMA
> >ide1: reset: success
> <...>
> >direction, anyone? what kind of things should i be looking
> >for -- or does this smell like a hardware failure?
>
> --
Definitely smells bad -huh?!.
I spent yesterday replacing my hda1 (/) drive, because of this
exact kind of failure. Luckily, I was able to get most of the
stuff out of the old drive by putting it on a different
controller-channel and cp'ing untill it reached the "bad
place". Kind of a hassle, but it saved me a ton of downloading
and setting up.
Might do a howto on that some time. (for semi-newbies like
myself, running on 2nd hand hardware ;-).
What a joy to be running a good os, this kind of thing would
have wrecked a shitty one good & proper.
Regards
Vitux

--
Death comes to us in various guises,