Re: OpenSSH <--> SSH2 interoperability

Problem solved.

Brian Moore provided this concise explanation via email:
------------------------------ 8< ------------------------------
> I thought that various versions of ssh played well together even with
> OpenSSH's default configuration, but the name "SSH2 compatibility mode"
> suggests otherwise.

They don't.

ssh2 servers will, when receiving a connect from an ssh1 client, invoke
an ssh1 server to handle it assuming one is installed.

ssh2 clients will, when connecting to an ssh1 server, invoke an ssh1
client to talk to the server if one is installed.

You have an ssh1 server installed and answering, the person trying to
connect should install an ssh1 client so that his ssh2 client can fall
back to version 1.

Thanks again, Brian.

Kirk Hilliard