Memory strangeness; X, Netscape

Hi debs.
I get this weird behaviour:
boot, xdm, login as me. In xterm: pon and run netscape to
check on the mail.
switch to vt1, login as root, to do some maintenance. I move
some stuff around, clean up a bit.
All this takes maybe an hour. Now, when I switch back to vt7,
I notice things are slightly slower than usual and there's a
little disk activity. Suspicious me (the box hardly ever
starts swapping w/ 128 Mb), switch back to vt1, run top, and
almost all the memory is being used by something. I can't tell
what, the ram-use for the various processes don't give me much
hint.
I know there's a memory-leak in netscape, so I turn off
netscape. Frees about 4 Mb. Restart fvwm: frees up a tiny bit.
Ctrl-alt-bckspc on X: frees tiny bit. Still a ram-use of above
115 Mb!?. When fresh-booted, this system only uses ~35Mb...
Two questions:
1: What's going on?
2: I don't want to reboot to free the ram, and I don't feel
like spending money on even more ram. How do I fix this
strange condition?
The box is a Compaq PII350/128MbRAM, running Slink with 2.2.14
kernel (no fancy stuff in kernel except for apm). 65 Mb swap.
Sorry for this long post, I'm only trying to be specific ;-)
Best Regards
Vitux

--
Death comes to us in various guises,