Re: Potato INSTALL on LAPTOP (NEC Versa 4050H): pcmcia modules unresolved

On Fri, 21 Apr 2000, Bruce Sass wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Apr 2000, Rick Macdonald wrote:
>

> > Trying to install potato from scratch on a NEC Versa 4050H (P90MHz),
> > depmod reports unresolved symbols for all the pcmcia modules. I have
> > zircom and 3com pcmcia NICs, but I can't get the modules for either to
> > load because of this unresolved symbol problem. Without the NIC, I can't
> > get past the base install.
> >
> > What can I do to fix this?
>
> This is a known problem with the Potato installation system.  Check the
> debian-boot mailing list archives for a manual work around; that
> failing, subscribe to debian-boot and ask.

Ah, so it is -- thanks.

I couldn't find any work-around so I've just asked on the boot list. I may
have to load slink, then just upgrade to potato (and build my own 2.2.14
kernel). That should work, shouldn't it? It looks like just the boot
floppies are mismatched, which wouldn't affect a slink->potato upgrade, I
figure.

...RickM...