Re: Help -- Data recovery

Hi David,

Thanks for replying.

David Wright [d.wright@open.ac.uk] wrote:
> I don't have the start of this thread anymore. You have linux on
> this machine? If so, I'd try and mount the partition readonly from
> linux rather than going anywhere near it with other OSes. I don't
> think linux looks at the partition type, but only the magic.

Yes I have linux on this machine (I'm dual booting Linux/Win98).
Hmm, if linux doesn't care about the partition type, then does it
care about the <file system> type?

I'm asking this because hda2 was FAT32 (I accidentally deleted it
and created a new partition on top as EXT2, same size, same
partition type. And now I'm in panic mode and I'm trying to recover
any data on hda2. That's basically the start of this threat.).

> If you can mount it as whatever filesystem type works, then you can
> copy out the data. If you can't, I can only guess that another OS has
> vomited over part of it.

Which <file system> do you suggest? EXT2? And is there a chance that
this will further corrupt the data on it?

MB.