Re: 2 newbie questions

On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 10:30:07AM -0400, Peter Solinsky wrote:
> I have a boca-research modem which is PNP compatable but debian can't
> detect it.  Do I need to manually set the jumpers for and open COM and IRQ
> for it to be recognized?

Try http://www.grapevine.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html and make sure
you modem is on the good list.

> 2nd:  I am having trouble getting xwindows to work properly.  When I run
> xf86config and set the card for SVGA, my monitor blanks and I get nothing,
> the main problem is I cannot get linux to reboot without entering xwin at
> startup which means my screen blanks at startup and I can't rerun config
> w/o wiping everything and starting over.

CNTROL - ALT - BACKSPACE will kill xwindows and get you back to the
command line (usually).

You probably have xdm, which is a package which launches Xwindows
automatically on bootup.  If you don't have a good X setup, then it can
be a hassle.  Once you get X working if you want to use xdm that's fine.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard