Re: Apache support for multiple domains

> I want to do very domain hosting for family and friends.  What I have so far
> is multiple IPs and how to assign them to the same Ethernet card.  I also
> know how to set up users and allow them to update their own page at
> www.mydomain.com/~username.  Here is my attempt at support multiple domains:
>
> I am heading in this direction:  Multiple Virtual servers each with it's own
> IP being tied to the following document root directories:
>
> DocumentRoot /sites/www.domain1.com/
> DocumentRoot /sites/www.domain2.com/
> DocumentRoot /sites/www.domain3.com/

from the above i understand, that you have configured your eth0 for
multiple ip-s already. :-)

> The next question would be: How do I allow users to ftp the their domain and
> update the pages?
>
> I plan to add one user per domain and make the web document root their home
> directory.  That way FTP will default to that directory for uploading web
> pages.

create normal accounts for them. as it is the same host behind all the
ip-s, they could ftp to any of these ip-s to get access to the machine.

> Lastly, I was going to give their account recursive ownership of their
> document root.

that will be automatically done, if they have normal user accounts.

> Does this sound like a plan?  If anyone else has done domain hosting, I
> would appreciate the input.  I don't like this because it gives people
> accounts on the server.  Because I want them to have file access, I don't
> see a way around it.  I guess I'll also give them mail accounts while I'm at
> it :)

if you don't want them to telnet to you box, then set their shell to
/bin/true or /bin/date or something. note, that you have to add this
pseudo-shell to /etc/shells to allow your users to ftp.

Linux - the last service pack you'll ever need.