Re: What are the most common causes of linux system hangs?

> On Fri, Apr 14, 2000 at 02:47:46AM -0700, Joe Emenaker wrote:
> > Every now and then, I'll have a Debian box that starts having fits of hard
> > system hangs. Sometimes, it goes away when I turn off a daemon. Other times,
> > it goes away when I put the hard drives in an entirely different computer.

> > It doesn't seem to matter what's running becuase I've tried turning almost
> > all of the daemons (except cron and a couple of others) off, and it still
> > hung. It's happening more and more frequently, too. It used to be able to go
> > for a week or two. Now, it barely makes it more than 4 hours or so.

The following may not apply to you but may be of interest generally.

You didn't say if you're always running X. I don't think anything has ever
hung my machine other than Netscape and/or X.

HOWEVER, for me it's only the XServer that is hung. I have a lan at home
so I can go to my wife's Win95 PC (which usually needs rebooting because
it's been sitting there idle for a few days and hangs by itself) and
telnet to my Linux box and kill Netscape, or sometimes kill X. But the
point is that I can login and the OS itself isn't hung.

Can you make it hang outside of X? If not, can you plug in a dumb terminal
or telnet in to see if it's _really_ hung?

...RickM...