Re: problem creating boot floppy

On Thu, 13 Apr 2000, John Kiff wrote:

> I'm pretty sure that I'm doing everything correctly, but I keep getting
> back a bad disk or write-protected disk error.

Make sure that you don't have any floppy with bad sectors. You can format
the floppies on a running Linux machine using fdformat (fdformat
/dev/fd0u1440) or superformat (superformat /dev/fd0); on fdformat, "done"
has to be returned; on superformat, you can see every track that's being
formatted.

> I've gone through a whole pack of floppies and then some, I've made
> absolutely sure that the write-protect tab is in the right position, and
> I've even tried floppies that work just fine on my other Debian-loaded
> machine. They're all being rejected by mkboot. Have I run into a frozen
> distribution bug, or am I just having really bad luck?

Maybe it was just a bad luck; I had the same problem the other day, at a
time, I could create a boot floppy, but not on other time.

But if you have a running Debian machine, making a boot floppy is not that
difficult:
superformat /dev/fd0
dd if=/vmlinuz of=/dev/fd0 conv=sync
rdev /dev/fd0 /dev/<your boot partition>
rdev -R /dev/fd0 1

So, even if dbootstrap couldn't create the boot floppy, use the one you
created as above.

Oki