Laptop PPP/Ethernet

I've installed potato on a laptop and want it to be able to have a PCMCIA
Ethernet connection and be capable of a direct PPP connection (without a
modem). During the installation, I configured PCMCIA and then the
network parameters for the Ethernet interface. I included PPP when
configuring the drivers for the kernel. So I think I have everything in
the kernel (or as modules) that I need.

The Ethernet interface works fine. When trying to bring up the PPP
connection logging in syslog indicates that the kernel is registering
device ppp0. pppd is started fine, but then it says that pppd is
connecting ppp8 to /dev/ttyS1. Then there is an error that says that
modprobe can't locate module ppp8 and pppd fails.

I rebuilt the kernel yesterday and got PPP working with that kernel, but
when I did that I managed to mess up the PCMCIA stuff (I don't have much
experience with laptops) so I lost the Ethernet. Now I'm back to the
potato distribution kernel.

I've searched all over for a configuration file or something that
specifies this ppp8 thing, but can find nothing.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...