Re: postgresql 6.5.3 vs. debian

w trillich wrote:
  >Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >> Aha; have you installed postgresql-client?  I split the package,
  >> because it is possible to have the front-end on a different machine
  >> from the backend. However, postgresql ought to depend on
  >> postgresql-client.
  >
  >that sure looks promising...
  >
  >dang. i thought you had it for a minute.
  >
  ># apt-get install postgresql-client
  >Reading Package Lists... Done
  >Building Dependency Tree... Done
  >Sorry, postgresql-client is already the newest version
  >0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
  >
  >(that "1 not upgraded" is enlightenment, which is mucho coolio,
  >but i'm not going for xwindows, i'm going for web server and
  >dbms... maybe on my next machine when i'm wealthy and infamous...)
  >
  >> It looks as though I have missed some dependencies somewhere.

In fact, no:
Package: postgresql
Version: 6.5.3-18
Section: misc
Architecture: i386
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.1.2), libncurses5, libreadline4 (>= 4.1),libpgsql2 (>=
6.5.1),
debianutils (>= 1.7), procps (>= 1.9), postgresql-client, procps (>= 2.0)
Suggests: libpgperl,libpgjava,libpgtcl,postgresql-doc,ecpg,postgresql-pl,
postgresql-dev,postgresql-contrib,python-pygresql
Conflicts: postgres95,libpq1,libpgtcl (<= 6.4-0.1),postgresql-client (<=
6.5.3-2)

So the proper dependency is already there, (and so is the dependency on
procps, which gave you trouble earlier).

  >maybe 'suggests' as opposed to 'depends'? or, have only the
  >pgsql-client pak install the psql/createdb/etc links?
  >
  >hmmm... thinking... yes, your dbms administrator will probably
  >need to frob, tweak and munge on occasion, so psql (and friends)
  >would most likely be standard toolbox for server machines; but
  >for client machines they'd not need the server engine, so you're
  >probably right--server depends on client, tho it seems odd at
  >first glance.
  >
  >(p.s. where can i get psql and createdb and so forth?)

I must say, you seem to have a right mess here!  What happened to the packages
you tried to produce with alien? Are they still lying around?  If they are
installed, purge them.

Check that your current installation appears to be OK: `apt-get check'.

Then try `apt-get --reinstall install postgresql-client libpgsql2 postgresql'

     "I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me
      from all my fears."    Psalms 34:41