Re: eth0 & ppp0 revisited

Quoting John Bagdanoff (bagdanof@home.com):
> I've been experimenting getting ppp running as a backup when my cable
> modem connection goes belly up for whatever reason.
> I disable eth0 with: ifdown eth0.
> Then I pon
> & later I poff
> I then do a: ifup eth0
> Now I cannot access the internet through my cable modem (connected to
> eth0).
[...]
> Now, if I run pon/poff again, my default gateway for eth0 reverts back
> to:
>
> default         bb1-fe0-0-0.pot 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0
> eth0
>
> Now that I've invented the hard way to fix this, what's the easy way?

Not being up-to-date with the new network scripts, I would suggest
you up your eth0 before poffing your ppp.

Perhaps your poff scripts would reestablish the routes automatically
but for the fact that eth0 is still down.

The other (old-fashioned slink) way is to make poff run
/etc/init.d/network which should redo everything in the right order.

Cheers,