anyone using devfs?

Hello,

Anyone out there using devfs?? I recently patched my kernel
(2.2.14) and configured it to use devfs. I built and installed devfsd,
then rebooted the machine. At startup, the kernel reports than devfs is
mounted on /dev.... all seems well to this point.

Once init starts, I see messages like this;

:
Cleaning: /tmp /var/lock /var/run
chmod: /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]: No such file or directory
chown: /dev/tty[p-za-e][0-9a-f]: No such file or directory
:
:
INIT: Entering runlevel: 2
Starting system log daemon: syslogd  syslogd: /dev/xconsole: No
such
file or directory klogd.
:
:
Starting periodic command scheduler: cron.
INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

<sit and wait a while - maybe 5 minutes>

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

<sit and wait a while again>

What am I missing here?? My /etc/devfsd.conf file is unchanged from that
which came in the tar archive with devfsd, it appears to be configured
to enable full compatibility mode, is this correct??

Any pointers appreciated,

Shaun