xfs on unix domain socket

The example config file /etc/X11/xfs/config has the comment that TCP
port listening is switched off by default, but that unix domain
connections are still permitted, which seems reasonable.

However, what's the syntax for this?  "xset fp+ unix/:-1" and variants
don't seem to work: they just report

xset:  bad font path element (#38), possible causes are:
    Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
    Directory missing fonts.dir
    Incorrect font server address or syntax

and the like.  If I include this as one of the paths in XF86Config, I
get the report that the server can't contact the font server.

Is there something else I need to do?  Some configuration in the
kernel (I compiled my own) that wouldn't be otherwise obvious (since
most stuff seems to work)?