Re: Video cards? - impressions, not necessarily facts

Hello!

On Tue, Apr 11, 2000 at 09:29:23AM -0400, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> Are you sure XFree supports dual-head on the G400 (without two
> video cards)?  Where the mga man page says `Multi-head
> configurations are supported' I assumed it meant with mutiple
> cards.

I was mistaken.

It seems that the support for the second head on the G400 is not ready in
XF4. (You require several cards)

I knew I had read about it somewhere, so I searched for it. Here it is:

http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/~vana/matroxfb.html

>From that Site:

<...>
Development Version

Support for second head on G400 is available as patch for kernel
2.3.47-pre3.
Usage is simple; do insmod i2c-matroxfb; insmod matroxfb_maven; insmod
matroxfb_crtc2; con2fb /dev/fb1 /dev/tty1 and
that's all...

If you want to use also output to television, you must download and compile
matroxset. PAL 50Hz and NTSC 59.94Hz are supported, Composite and S-Video
output.
<...>

There is a Multi-Head Mini Howto, it explains how to run an Xserver
(FrameBuffer) on that second head.

I found this link:

http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-kernel/1999week19/0907.html

I hope it helps. I haven't had the money for that second monitor (I'm saving
for a nice 19" or 21"), so I haven't tested it yet.

Greetings,

Alexis Maldonado
Electrical Engineering Student
University of Costa Rica