cd help please...

hello,

I have sound working ( I can hear sound through sound events of gnome) and my soundcard is listed in procinfo. my problem is trying to play cdrom. I have xfreecd and have read access to the cdrom via chmod a+r /dev/cdrom but when I try to play cds I can't hear anything. I can see it playing but there is no sound. I thought that I had to mount it first but it wont let me mount a cd disc. it gives error that it is an incompatible medium so I thought that might be the problem. then I tried to mount an ordinary cd (the debian cd) and it mounted perfectly so I assume this was'nt the problem.

Any advice would be appreciated.