Re: dselect deinstalled all software!!!

Thanks for the reply!

>     He upgraded something which required a different version of libc
> than what everything in the system depends upon.  As a result it
> deselected that libc and pretty much everything else that depended
> upon it.

I am guessing then that what he needs to do is to create a rescue
floppy.  (I have suggested the one at
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/frozen/main/disks-i386/current/images-1.
44/rescue.bin)
Then boot from it, and run dselect.  In dselect he should go into
select and reselect all the fundamental packages that have gone
missing, and then install them.  Does this sound like the best plan?

Thanks,

Mark.

P.S. cc replies directly to me as I am not currently on debian-user - thanks!