svga modes

Yesterday I tried using vga=ask as a bootup option (from loadlin) and chose a different video mode (80x28 instead of 80x25).  It looked fine when I was booting, but after I switched from a x (auto started with XDM) to a VT, I was back in standard text mode.  Also, I couldn't see the bottom three
lines of text, so the VT thought that there were 28 lines on my console.  Is there a configuration option that I missed, or is this a problem with my X server?

My system:

Debian 2.1r5 + xfree from www.debian.org/~vincent
Hercules Thriller 3D 4MB PCI (Rendition V2200)
P233 MMX w/ 96MB Ram

Mark