Re: Need parameters for lance ethernet on install

Josh Kuperman wrote:

> The three AT-1500BT cards are configured as follows:
>
> Adapter 1: I/O-0x300,IRQ-5,DMA-5
> Adapter 2: I/O-0x320,IRQ-4,DMA-6
> Adapter 3: I/O-0x360,IRQ-3,DMA-7
>
> When I select "lance" as my internet driver it says
> "no parameter
> information available" so I'm guessing based on
> various things from
> the bootprompt howto I am guessing that the options
> on the line should
> be "5,0x300,0,0,eth0" reflecting IRQ-5, I/O address,
> probing for DMA
> and use the twisted pair connection instead of the
> coax, and use the
> card for eth0.  I also tried "5,0x300,eth0" in case
> the installed
> didn't need the rest.
>
> I see myself as having three options:

Dear Josh,
	I, myself, had this same sort of problem with an
install on an Intergraph TD-3 90Mhz system. It comes
w/ an onboard AMD lance chip w/ TPO . It was not
pretty......
	But I love the box, so when doing a fresh install
(caused by a blitzed upgrade from slink to potato), I
would bang my head into the same wall. It was puzzling
too.........According to a Doc I read, the lance is
supposed to be one of the best supported chips for
Debian.
	The resolution was this...........
	I first (after drivers had been loaded), used the
Alt+F2 method to get a term while installing and used
the 'insmod' and 'modprobe' to try to address the card
from "outside" the install, but this would give me
"Device or resource busy" when returning to the
install if I could load the chip.
	If I remember correctly, When I got to the parameter
line entry part of the install for that chip I
entered:
0x340,5,5,0
: and that seemded to work (finally) after puzzling
those values from motherboard jumpers documentation
and the software BIOS utility. The AMD supplied DOS
diagnostic refused to see the chip. Those values I
used at the term as I said above until I could find
the correct sytax the command wanted. Then went back
to the install and tried them until I could get it to
recognize the card. The hanging during the installs
modprobe could be cured by doing Ctrl+C (or maybe Z)
w/o killing the entire install and even though the
install term was hanging I could Alt+F2 (F3,F4,etc.)
to try different values and then go back to the
install modprobe, kill it, and try the newly
discovered syntax until it worked.
	Setting up eth0 was a breeze w/ SLINK [2.0.36](or
maybe "beginners luck" was responsible) but I got it
to install the 1st time after I supplied parameters.
The fresh install of POTATO [2.2.14] was a B*TCH! But
well worth it though.
	My advice comes from those experiences w/ ONE chip/
card, so take them for what they may be worth
concerning a HAMM install w/ 3. I would suggest that
you start w/ A card and then add the others after
install (an interesting procedure I hear from the
lists, but not impossible w/ the correct info)but
this, again, is IMO.
	I hope it helps you.

				Stetson

|-Why? Why not? Why not try?-|