Re: newbie questions - kill and lpd

On Thu, 6 Apr 2000, Oswald Buddenhagen wrote:

> > Hi All. Two newbie questions. First - I've just had netscape crash and
> > kill -9 pid failed to work. I got a netscape zombie according to top.
> > Any suggestions about what to do now?
> This indicates, that the parent process of netscape is hanging or
> something. Don't care much about it: zombies take nearly no memory.

Nearly no memory is still too much; try: killall netscape, I might work
(think not), if it doesn't help you can do ps aux and kill -9 <PID) EVERY
netscape process, or, as root, slay <USER THAT IS RUNNING NETSCAPE>.

NOTE: By using slay EVERY process of that user will be killed (including
shell, so the user will be logged out), so make sure you have NO open
files you were editing, because not saved data WILL be lost!

> > Second - I get messages about lp1 being out of paper - I have no printer
> > attached at the moment. I've killed the lpd daemon, and its stopped the
> > messages, but what is the correct way to deal with this?
> > Thanks in advance for help.
> remove the lpd symlinks in /etc/rc.d/.../

Works fine also, I prefer renaming the script name in /etc/init.d, which
also works fine (but is a bit faster).

Ron