RE: Creative SB Live! 1024

I understand you want to use esound-alsa with a self-compiled alsa. So do
I. I didn't get any of the Debian package tools to ignore the dependencies
on the precompiled alsa debs either...

However, as of today, my sound works in gnome with just esound installed
and the oss-compatibility modules (snd-pcm-oss, snd-mixer-oss) inserted.
Try upgrading to alsa 0.5.7

Christian