Re: apt-get and personal data

Quoting Oki DZ (okidz@pindad.com):

> On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, David Wright wrote:
> > You may well fall foul of the Data Protection Act at least in Europe.
>
> I think I didn't say that apt-get would _automatically_ grab whatever info
> available on your systems; I said that if a user put his/her info on a
> file, then apt-get would send it's content to the main site. If the user
> didn't like that idea, then the person didn't have to create the file.

I presume that you're implying by the above that because people
volunteer the information, then that's all right.

What I'm telling you is that that is not all right. I'm sure you'll
be able to turn up references to our Data Protection Act (the old and
the new) on the web. You may be surprised by them.

Cheers,