mouse setup

ok. i just recently did a re-install. i have a logitech wingman mouse. my last install worked perfect w/ this. not this time however. i don't THINK i've done anything differently this time around, yet i can't use the middle mouse button for anything in X.
otherwise it works fine. just no middle mouse button functionality (incl. copy/paste which is driving me nuts!)
one thing is that during gpmconfig it hangs at he first part (after it locates the possible mouse types and asks to move it around then press any key. i have to ctrl-c out of it then go from there).
i have it configures as /dev/psaux and ps2 as the protocol.
should it be /dev/mouse or something?
i had this problem once before w/ a MS wheel mouse and it turned out to be something stupid, but i've tried all the possible configurations i can think of to no avail.
could it be something in the kernel (i d/l'ed rebuilt the kernel w/ 2.3)
any ideas?

james
james@enfect.com