Samba not rotating filled logs

I seem to have a problem with logging in samba (2.0.6-5, the latest in potato). Recently, it seems that it won't rotate the log file (/var/log/smb) when it hits the size limit specified in the smb.conf file--it gives an logfile open error (see below), and starts spewing the log entries to the console. Everything still works, but it is quite annoying.

Since I didn't notice the problem until the log filled up, I can't pin down exactly when it started to happen, but I'm pretty sure it happened with at least 2.0.6-4 also. I think my installation is a fairly standard frozen that is up-to-date as of the beginning of the week. I'm using the default log size of 1000 (kB), but I've also tried changing the log size, with the result that everything works until the new limit is reached, then it overflows again.

I'm kind of at a loss here, since the logging works fine until it fills, and I haven't seen any bugs filed for this problem. The global part of my smb.conf and smb log file listing are below. If anything else would be useful, let me know. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any ideas,
Eric

odin# dir /var/log/smb
-rw-r--r--    1 root     adm         97109 Apr  6 13:33 /var/log/smb

excerpt of entries seen in /var/log/smb:
Apr 5 20:28:29 odin smbd[28697]: [2000/04/05 20:28:29, 0] lib/debug.c:check_log
_size(285)
Apr 5 20:28:29 odin smbd[28697]: check_log_size: open of debug file /var/log/
smb failed - using console.

odin# head -n 30 /etc/samba/smb.conf
# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from titan.hpcl (192.168.1.15)
# Date: 2000/03/16 20:08:03

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HPCL
        server string = %h server (Samba %v)
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24
        bind interfaces only = Yes
        security = SHARE
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        null passwords = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
passwd chat = *New\spassword:* %n\n *Re-enter\snew\spassword:* %n\n *Pas
sword\schanged.* .
        unix password sync = Yes
        log level = 0
        max log size = 1000
        name resolve order = host wins bcast lmhosts
        time server = Yes
        deadtime = 15
socket options = IPTOS_LOWDELAY TCP_NODELAY SO_SNDBUF=4096 SO_RCVBUF=409
6
        client code page = 437
        os level = 99
        preferred master = Yes
        domain master = Yes
        wins support = Yes
        message command = /bin/sh -c '/usr/bin/linpopup
        guest account = public
        invalid users = root
Eric Boyer						jeb19@psu.edu